Location, aesthetic, and theme are all important things to consider when hunting down the perfect wedding venue. But, there is so much more you have to think about before signing that venue contract. The less fun details like payments, insurance, day-of logistics, are just as important—and the not-so-fun list goes on.
Because confirming your venue is one of the first major decisions you’ll make during your planning process, finding your dream venue will set the stage for everything to come. That’s why it’s important to ask all the right questions. To make sure you’re prepared prior to meeting with your venue, we’ve got the must-ask questions you’ll want clarified about availability, pricing, catering, and day-of logistics.
Availability, Offered Packages, and Pricing Questions to Ask Wedding Venues
Finding a venue is determined by your desired date, wedding size, and your budget. That’s why the first questions you should be asking your potential venues should be based on these topics. You don’t want to waste valuable wedding planning time asking more specific questions if your desired date isn’t available.
- Is our ideal wedding date available?
- How far in advance can we reserve our date?
- What wedding packages are available and what do they include?
- What’s the rental fee for our desired wedding date and package?
- How many hours are included in the rental?
- How many guests can this venue accommodate?
Questions Regarding Wedding Vendors
Vendors play an important role in bringing together your big day. These are the people you’ll trust to turn your vision into reality. That’s why it’s important to ask questions regarding any venue’s limitations for hiring certain vendors.
- Do they have a list of preferred vendors?
- Are we limited to hiring vendors only on the preferred vendors list?
- Are any vendors included in the rental price, like a day-of wedding coordinator or security service?
- Are there any restrictions in place for photographers or videographers?
Questions To Ask Wedding Venues About Catering and Bar Options
Let’s be honest, food and drinks are always popular elements of a wedding—for you and for your guests. That’s why it’s important to clarify what’s possible with your future venue. From your catering options to your reception bar set up, here are the questions you’ll need answered about food and beverages before picking a venue.
- Is in-house catering an option or will we need to hire an outside caterer?
- If in-house catering is provided, is it included in the rental price?
- What style of catering is available?
- If we hire an outside catering company, will they have access to a prep kitchen?
- Will tables, chairs, tableware, and linens be included?
- Is there a food and beverage minimum in place?
- Are they licensed to provide alcohol?
- Are we able to provide our own alcohol—liquor, wine, beer, and champagne? Is there a corkage fee?
- Is the bar staffed or are we required to bring in an outside beverage catering company?
Questions To Ask Wedding Venues Regarding Wedding Decor and Rentals
One surefire way to set your wedding apart is the decor. Decor will turn an ordinary event space into the wedding venue of your dreams. Here are the important questions to ask your potential wedding venue regarding rentals and decor.
- What are the ceremony and reception layout options?
- Are we allowed to bring in our own decorations for the wedding space?
- Are there any restrictions placed on the decor we can bring in?
- Do they have decor inventory on-site that we’re able to use?
- What furniture pieces are included for the ceremony and reception space?
Wedding Day Logistical Questions
It’s important to sort out wedding day logistics far before your big day. Asking the necessary questions on your venue tour will eliminate any surprises down the road and will give you a better idea if the venue will suit your needs. Ask these questions to make sure your wedding day will be as stress free as possible.
- Will space be provided the day before to store decor and other wedding day elements?
- Is setup and breakdown included in the rental price?
- What time will vendors have access to the space?
- Are there two different wedding party suites for getting reading prior to the ceremony?
- Is there a backup option for bad weather? Is there any fee associated with this?
- Is there a cleaning fee after the event?
Questions Regarding Entertainment
Your DJ and entertainment will play a big role in both keeping your reception schedule rolling and keeping your guests on the dance floor. Make sure your potential venue checks all the boxes necessary for your entertainment.
- Can we bring in our own band or DJ?
- What sound equipment is included in the rental price?
- When will the live entertainment be granted access into the venue for setting up?
- Are there noise or time restrictions when it comes to music?
- How many people does the dance floor accommodate?
- Is there a reserved area for entertainment in the reception space?
Payments and Insurance Questions
After asking all of these necessary questions, you’ll be able to decide if this venue will work. If you’ve decided this venue is perfect for your wedding theme, size, and budget then you can talk about the contract. These are the questions you should ask about payments, deposits, and contracts.
- How much is the deposit and when will it be due?
- What’s the cancellation policy and is the deposit refundable or transferable in the event there’s a date change?
- Are there payment plans available?
- What type of payments are accepted—cash, PayPal, credit card, or check?
- What insurance is required?
Asking all the right questions is sure to help narrow down your ideal venue search. Once you’ve asked the questions and have officially selected your wedding venue, the big details are set—congrats! Now the real fun begins.
It’s time to assemble your wedding vendor team that’ll accurately and beautifully bring to life your dream wedding vision. Lucky for you, you’re only one click away from the top wedding vendors from around the world.